Season 1 Episode 15 “More of Alice’s dark past is uncovered when Cartwright shares a twisted story with Kate; Jacob goes searching for his wayward daughter; Mary and Luke follow a lead on Beth’s killer.”
What I Liked
1. At the beginning of the episode, a female is being stalked by a weird guy. Batwoman intervenes but she’s shot several times, calls the guy a d*ck then just ruins him. A short scene, but what a great start! We also got flashbacks with Kate and Alice’s mother.
2. Mouse goes off and manages to lock Alice to the same chair, hooking her up to the fear toxin! I was NOT expecting that at all.
3. August just officially name-dropped Scarecrow after Kate and Jacob have him tied up to a chair. Letting us know that both he, and Scarecrow actually worked together.
4. As Alice is tied up with the fear toxin attached, we get incredibly uneasy flashbacks to her and August’s mother, The Queen. Tipping hot tea over her hands, cutting her hair, attacking her. The writers do such a great job with Alice at times, giving different emotions to the character; this week, making you feel awfully sorry for her.
5. Huge, huge twist! August had Alice and Kate’s mother’s head locked in a freezer for him to use her face on The Queen! Wow, this episode is having twists at every turn. After younger Alice spots this, we see her first kill as she completely burns The Queen alive!
6. After August explains everything to Kate, she loses it. Completely goes off the rails and pretty much kills him, she then tries to save him and fails. Alice and Jacob turn up, Jacob also fails and Alice seems sadistically happy about it. I like the turn this is going, instead of following Bruce Wayne’s ethics.
What I Disliked
The one thing that has annoyed me about this episode. Why is August almost unharmed after everything he did to Alice? Isn’t she supposed to be more brutal than this? It makes no sense. Although obviously he escapes and slits his neck, Kate manages to save him. I still feel as though Alice should have just offed him and been done with it.
As Alice can’t handle the toxin, she smashes a window and uses part of that glass to kill herself, until Jacob intervenes and stops her. You think he will go in with the intention of killing her, instead, he injects her with adrenaline to nullify the toxin.
Alice takes it this week for me. She was incredible. We learned so much about why she really is the way she is. Exceptional performance from Rachel Skarsten as per usual. Unbelievable!
A huge turning point for the entire show, and definitely the best episode of the season so far. As each episode surpasses, it gets better and better. This week had me on the edge of my seat throughout, not many CW shows have done that before.